The MPJE, or Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination, combines federal- and state-specific questions to test the pharmacy jurisprudence knowledge of prospective pharmacists. It serves as the pharmacy law examination in participating jurisdictions. Among other things, the MPJE tests candidates on:
- Legal aspects of pharmacy practice, including responsibilities with regard to the distribution and dispensing of pharmaceuticals and for the care of patients
- Licensure, registration, certification, and operational requirements
- Regulatory structure and terms of the laws and rules that regulate or affect pharmacists, pharmacies, manufacturers, and distributors
Anyone taking the exam is advised to read the NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin, which includes detailed information about the exam itself, the registration process, scheduling an appointment to test, and requirements on test day.
The fee for the MPJE is $210.
NABP is aware of Web sites that are posting NABP documents, such as examination registration bulletins, without NABP authorization. In some cases, the material that is posted on such sites may be outdated and/or incorrect. Please ensure that you visit www.nabp.net to obtain current, official NABP documents and materials or contact NABP customer service if you have any questions.
What Does the MPJE Look Like?
The MPJE is a two-hour, computer-adaptive examination that consists of 90 multiple-choice test questions. The examination is administered at Pearson VUE testing centers.
The MPJE tests a candidate’s mastery of pharmacy law as outlined in the MPJE competency statements. Each board of pharmacy approves questions applicable in that state or jurisdiction. A thorough understanding of the competency statements will help you prepare for the test.
Currently, 48 jurisdictions utilize the MPJE as part of their licensure requirements. Arkansas, California, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virginia, and the Virgin Islands do not participate. Contact the board of pharmacy for law examination requirements in those jurisdictions.
Ready to Register for the MPJE?
Reading the NAPLEX/MPJE Registration Bulletin will help you prepare – it covers all you need to know about the MPJE including sections on:
- Registration procedures and requirements
- Special testing accommodations
- Eligibility requirements
- Scheduling your exam
- Changing your appointment to test
- Requirements for test day