Set Yourself Apart from Rogue Sites!
The Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (VIPPS) program accredits online pharmacies that dispense prescription drugs. VIPPS requires an Internet pharmacy to comply with the licensing and survey requirements of its state and each state to which it dispenses pharmaceuticals. VIPPS-accredited pharmacies meet nationally endorsed standards of pharmacy practice, and they demonstrate compliance with standards of privacy and authentication and security of prescriptions, adhere to quality assurance policy, and provide meaningful consultation between patients and pharmacists.
With thousands of rogue sites illegally selling prescription drugs, VIPPS offers a way for legitimate sites to set themselves apart.
VIPPS pharmacy sites display the VIPPS Seal on their websites. The Seal is a key benchmark for consumers to measure the quality of a pharmacy’s practice, and by clicking on the VIPPS Seal, they are able to access verified information about the pharmacy.
VIPPS Accreditation Process Overview
- Submit an application, required documentation, and specified fees to NABP
- NABP reviews policies and procedures to ensure adherence to VIPPS criteria
- NABP verifies the pharmacy’s license status
- NABP performs an on-site survey
VIPPS Accreditation Maintenance Overview
- Once accredited, an annual review and three-year reaccreditation are performed.
- To ensure continued compliance, all VIPPS-accredited sites are surveyed once every three years.
- Policies and procedures may be required to be submitted and re-reviewed as part of annual compliance requirements, reaccreditation, or if the scope of the pharmacy changes (ie, ownership, location, types of products offered).
Apply today and set yourself apart from rogue sites!
VIPPS and the .pharmacy TLD Program
VIPPS-accredited pharmacies are eligible for a waived application fee for the .pharmacy Top-Level Domain program. This means that VIPPS-accredited entities have the option to register and use a .pharmacy TLD for any of their websites that have been approved through the VIPPS accreditation process. VIPPS entities will only need to pay domain name registration fees to an approved registrar. VIPPS entities registering a .pharmacy TLD will have their site listed on the approved sites page at safe.pharmacy.
Online retailers of prescription drugs who seek VIPPS accreditation know that they will benefit from NABP’s recognized credibility and the VIPPS program and Seal. The VIPPS Seal demonstrates public accountability – it is also a symbol of a pharmacy’s commitment to its patients’ health and safety.