Set Yourself Apart from Rogue Sites!
The VIPPS accreditation program (Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites), is a strong indicator of an Internet pharmacy’s compliance with state and federal laws and regulations and NABP's criteria. Online retailers of prescription drugs who seek VIPPS accreditation know that they will benefit from NABP’s recognized credibility and the decade-old VIPPS program and Seal. The VIPPS Seal demonstrates public accountability – it is also a symbol of a pharmacy’s commitment to its patients’ health and safety.
The VIPPS accreditation process provides for ongoing evaluation of an Internet pharmacy’s practice. Internet pharmacies function in much the same way as traditional pharmacies and are subject to the same rules, regulations, and patient care requirements as brick-and-mortar pharmacies.
Rogue Online Sites
Unfortunately, because it is so easy to create a Web site, there are thousands of sites pretending to be legitimate online pharmacies. To date, NABP has reviewed over 10,000 sites – only 3% of those online sites appear to be in compliance with pharmacy laws and practice standards. Using these rogue sites puts patients at risk of receiving counterfeit or adulterated medications. VIPPS accreditation ensures that an Internet pharmacy is a bona fide pharmacy, and it is the best way for patients to determine that they are getting the quality care they deserve.
VIPPS Online Sites
To ensure public health, VIPPS accreditation requires an Internet pharmacy to comply with the licensing and survey requirements of its state and each state to which it dispenses pharmaceuticals. VIPPS-accredited pharmacies meet nationally endorsed standards of pharmacy practice, and they demonstrate compliance with standards of privacy and authentication and security of prescriptions, adhere to quality assurance policy, and provide meaningful consultation between patients and pharmacists.
VIPPS pharmacy sites display the VIPPS Seal on their Web sites. The Seal is a key benchmark for consumers to measure the quality of a pharmacy’s practice, and by clicking on the VIPPS Seal, they are able to access verified information about the pharmacy.
VIPPS Accreditation Process Overview
- Submit an application, required documentation, and specified fees to NABP
- NABP reviews policies and procedures to ensure adherence to VIPPS criteria
- NABP verifies the pharmacy’s license status
- NABP performs an on-site survey
VIPPS Accreditation Maintenance Overview
- Once accredited, an annual review and three-year reaccreditation are performed.
- To ensure continued compliance, all VIPPS-accredited sites are surveyed once every three years.
- Policies and procedures may be required to be submitted and re-reviewed as part of annual compliance requirements, reaccreditation, or if the scope of the pharmacy changes (ie, ownership, location, types of products offered).
Apply today and set yourself apart from rogue sites!