Originally published in the November-December 2011 NABP Newsletter
Reporting trends continue to reflect efforts by boards of pharmacy to report disciplinary actions to the NABP Clearinghouse. During third quarter 2011, a total of 846 actions were reported to the NABP Clearinghouse, with 572, or 67%, of these taken against pharmacists and the remaining 274, or 33%, taken against pharmacy technicians. Administrative or publicly available fine/monetary penalty accounted for the most actions reported with 164, or 19.4%, of the total 846 actions. Probation of license was the second most reported action during the third quarter with 143, or 16.9%, of the actions reported. The third most common action reported was voluntary surrender of license, with 123, or 14.5%, of the total actions.
Data indicates that of all the actions taken during the third quarter, 20.3% were taken due to violation of federal or state statutes, regulations, or rules. Consisting of several smaller categories, the miscellaneous category held the second highest percentage overall with 17.3%. Another 9.8% of the actions reported during the third quarter were taken due to alcohol and/or other substance abuse.
Regularly updated, the NABP Clearinghouse is available to serve as a comprehensive resource for the boards of pharmacy. It houses a tremendous amount of disciplinary data provided by the boards and tracks everything from the actions taken to the basis for the actions. NABP also offers its services as a reporting agent for the Healthcare Integrity and Protection Data Bank and information is available at www.nabp.net/programs/member-services/nabp-clearinghouse.
The Association applauds the boards of pharmacy in their continued efforts to protect the public health through disciplinary action reporting.